Sunday, April 13, 2008

born to be mild


Last year we sold my $20,000 pick up and I bought a bicycle to get to and from work and ride around town. It wasn't long before I realized the limitations a bicycle has as a primary means of transportation. The main problem was the amount of hills in our fair Brenham. So seeing as hundreds of guys from Houston spend an hour and a half riding up here just to ride around some of our nearby scenic highways on a Saturday, how great would it be to ride out here everyday? Needless to say I'm stoked to have a motorcycle again but I didn't want a "project bike". I really needed something dependable but I also needed to pay cash for it so insurance would be cheap. So several months of looking steered me toward the Honda Sabre VT1000. It's considered a middle-weight cruiser, known for it's dependability and easy maintenance. I found a 2002 model on craigslist in late February in Austin.

The real "project" aspect of the bike will be to see if it will continue to work as a daily driver (or rider) and continue to be cost effective. Other than the original cost of the bike I spend $90 a YEAR on insurance and get about 35 miles to the gallon (thanks to the loud pipes and a carb rejet). Oh yeah, it's really loud! I'll be updating the blog as I go but for now I am almost two months into owning "Shiny" (Dylin named her) and I have had nothing but a great time on her so far.

2 comments:

Coby said...

have your doors always been blue? Wait, I mean, "Sweet bike bra."

Jeff said...

can you hit the juke box and play a song?