Sunday, April 13, 2008

down with skate ramps up with tree houses
















Three years ago we built some skate ramps for skaters in Brenham. Then the City of Brenham established a tennis court skate park for the same skaters. So we found ourselves with some ramps no one wanted and in need of the space the ramps occupied in the shed next to the Student Center. Recently I was cutting a tree down that was growing up right next to one of the live oaks in our yard and noticed it created a pretty good tree house area in the live oak. So Kyler Crenshaw and his truck met me at the shed and we took ramps apart and dumped the 2x4s and plywood in my backyard. The original plan was to have one platform that Dylin, Levi and friends could reach by a ladder from the ground but once I measured the distance and it came out to be 8 feet high and it seemed that might require too much climbing so I planned for the second level.

Some more facts:
-A dark stainer/sealer was used so the tree house would blend into the tree naturally.
-Only one 3" screw was drilled directly into the tree to keep from damaging the tree.
-All lumber used on the tree house is recycled skateboard ramps.
-Most of the 3" woodscrews used to build were also reused from the initial ramps.
-The ladders and slide were donated from some friends who were trashing their daughter's playset preping for a move.
-The "theme" of the treehouse is rustic and simple so it'll lend itself well to being a fairy house, castle, fort, or even a turkish prison!

4 comments:

kathy gail said...

i'm a little concerned about the kids coming up with a Turkish prison as a scenario. what have y'all been Netflixing lately?

johannapule said...

I am totally jealous, but can't wait to come play!! How exciting the kids get a little home of their own :) I will see yall soon so hurry up and finish so I can have tea and cookies w/ Dylin in the house.

Casey Cease said...

Killer Tree House!

Anonymous said...

Hallo!!!
I'm the editor of the blog Hometreehome and it's about treehouses, tomorrow will be online a post about your treehouse.
I hope you like, but if you want change something just write me!